At Celtic Cross Curriculum we have determined 'British Values' to be:
- The rule of law
- Individual liberty
- Mutual respect
- Tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs
As schools we aim to develop and nurture these by:
- Planning an engaging assembly programme with core ethical values and beliefs at its heart.
- A well-structured curriculum including PSHE, Citizenship and Beliefs and Ethics.
- An effective and well-mannered School Council enabling pupils to actively participate in the democratic process.
- Promoting diversity through collapsed curriculum events.
- A broad and balanced curriculum that addresses many of these core values across a range of subjects.
- Having a clearly communicated and consistently applied Behaviour Policy so that pupils understand what is expected of them and the consequences of both meeting and failing to meet these expectations.
- Adopting restorative approaches, where possible, to resolve any difficulties between member of our school community.
- Having a rigorous commitment to pupil safety ( for example: Child Protection/ Safeguarding procedures, Heath and Safety procedures, Staff code of Conduct and Teacher Standards).
Key Stage 1 Phonics Scheme
We use Read, Write Inc as our phonics scheme throughout the school. Once the phonics programme has been completed then the children move onto the RWInc spelling scheme.
We use a number of different schemes, however the main one used is Oxford Reading Tree. This has books from a Pre-reading stage through to competent readers with a reading age of 14+.
We ask that parents support children by listening to children read every night.
we use the reading karate scheme to encourage children to progress.